Tired of the same plum pudding every year? Spice up your Christmas lunch and impress your guests with a special dessert from our Executive Chef Matteo Zamboni. This spiced cake with a yellow peach chutney is currently on the menu at Jonah’s and is a beautiful way to celebrate the summer fruit while using spices like cinnamon and cardamom, reminiscent of Christmas gingerbread. Light, soft and springy like a sponge, it’s the perfect cake to soak up all of the beautiful peach juices and brandy. This cake is best served around the dining table with family and friends.
100g caster sugar
100g brown sugar
200g plain flour
10g baking powder
5g cinnamon powder
5g ground cardamom
5g ground clove
3g ground star anise
Peach Topping Ingredients
1kg ripe yellow peaches
80g brown sugar
1 orange skin
1 vanilla bean
65ml brandy (optional)
pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 160°. Grease a cake tin with butter and dust with flour to prevent sticking.
2. Cream the butter and sugar in a mixer using the paddle attachment.
3. Incorporate the egg slowly until smooth and transfer the mixture to a large bowl
4. Add the flour, the baking powder and the spices, slowly mixing top to bottom until fully incorporated
5. Transfer to the cake tin and bake for about 40 minutes
Peach Topping Method
1. While the cake is in the oven, dice the peaches in large, fairly regular sized cubes
2. Melt the butter in a large casserole pan and add the brown sugar to disolve completely
3. Add the peaches, vanilla and orange skin. Cook for 5 minutes stirring from time to time
4. Add the brandy and cook for a further 30 minutes or until the residual liquid starts to thicken. Set aside to cool down.
Cut the spiced cake in large slices, spoon a generous amount of the peach chutney on top. Finish by soaking the sponge with some of the cooking liquid from the peaches.
The team at Jonah’s wishes you a happy Christmas and festive season!